Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hoshgeldiniz! (Welcome!)

I have been in Turkey for one week and I am absolutely in love with the country! The people are so friendly and the food is amazing! I am staying at METU (Middle East Technical University) which is about a 20 minute dolmus (minibus) ride from the city center. The other American students and I are taking a Turkish language course at one of private language schools downtown Ankara. Through the Active Languages School we have peer students who speak Turkish and are learning or who have learned English. They are so friendly and I really enjoy spending time with them. Our peer students push us to speak Turkish which helps a lot. Although I am sure I sound like a two year old when I speak Turkish but I know more Turkish after only a week than I ever thought I would. The city of Ankara is very busy and exciting (although our peer students say that compared to Istanbul Ankara is very boring) I love the fact that I can take public transportation everywhere and I feel safe traveling in the city.

On Friday we went to the largest mosque in Ankara and stayed for one of their services. The mosque was beautiful on the inside. It was fully carpeted and there was Arabic script written all over the walls. I could not believe how breathtaking it was! Everyone had to take off their shoes when they entered but as a woman in the mosque I had to cover my hair. I also had to go to the top floor of the mosque because the men and women were not allowed to worship together. I did not like the fact that the women were segregated from the men especially when we were forced to squish together to make room for more men on our floor because it was so packed. However, it was an interesting experience and I hope to see other mosques during my stay in Turkey.

I am having such a great time I could not have picked a better place to study abroad and I am so glad that I am here in Ankara, Turkey!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! We are glad that you feel safe and are learning Turkish in such a great way. We love you!
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are getting a great education. It will be interesting for you to study a language and learn it as an adult. While you are learning vocabulary and context you will also have fresh eyes to learn something of the culture by the way the language is constructed and used. We're proud of you and pray you continue to have a great experience. Thanks for the update. We will follow the blog with interest.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dear! It is great to hear you are having a good time. Good luck with your upcoming classes. Make sure you take lots of pictures. I can't wait to visit Turkey through your eyes!!

    Love you.
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad everything is going well! I hope you get to do absolutely everything you want to do while you're there. Soak it up...time will go fast! Love you!

    Erica and Jon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bethany! So glad to hear from you! I'm glad you had a safe trip and it sounds like you're catching on to everything really quickly over there! What an amazing adventure, enjoy it because you'll remember it forever. We miss you and love you!

    Libby and Derek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time in Turkey! Will you have fun or no?

    I love you!

    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are having a great time!

    Love,
    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bethany-
    That is really interesting you mentioned the mosque! David and I were just talking about why they segregate men and women, and even though I share your opinion, it makes sense. Glad to hear you are having a good time. I enjoy the blog cause you can keep everyone posted on your trip. Keep safe, and I look forward to hearing more of your adventures!
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bethany, Roger and Bob are thinking of you and will get signed up to follow your blog
    Love you and take care.

    Bob and Roger

    ReplyDelete